We recently took a Thai cooking class in northern Thailand and learned how to make everyone’s favorite, Pad Thai, along with various other dishes. We wanted to share this super easy recipe with you to try at home!
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be found in your local Asian market or possibly even in the international aisle at your local grocery store. For dry noodles, be sure to soak in cold water for 10 minutes before adding to the pot. The ingredients listed here will serve 1-2 people and is designed for a mild level of spiciness, so feel free to adjust accordingly!
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp fish sauce (take a wiff, we promise it tastes better than it smells)
3 tsp oyster sauce
1-2 tbsp tamarind paste to taste
1/2 tsp palm sugar (regular sugar is a fine substitute)
1/2 cup water
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 piece tofu, cut into small stocks (optional)
1 stalk chives, cut into 1 inch length
3.5 oz bean sprouts
2 oz chicken, chopped
7 oz rice noodles
Ground roasted peanuts to taste
Chili powder to taste
Lime wedges for decoration
- The best way to prepare is using a wok, which should only take about 5 minutes to prepare. If you are using a normal frying pan you should turn up the heat just a tad more than suggested.
- Fry garlic in hot oil over low heat until fragrant. Add tofu and chopped chicken. Cook for 1 minute or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add egg and all seasoning. Mix together and turn up the heat to high/medium for about 1 minute.
- Add rice noodles and water and cook for about two minutes on medium heat.
- Add bean sprouts and chives, cooking for a few seconds. If you like your vegetables crunchy, take pan off heat. Leave on longer for softer vegetables and less crunch.
Serve with ground roasted peanuts, chili powder and lime.
And you’re done! As you can see, once you have all of the ingredients prepared, cooking Pad Thai is a very quick meal. Experiment with small batched to find your you personal level of spiciness, fishiness, etc.
Have any questions or comments about this recipe? Drop us a note below!